It was an amazing Open Day. From beauty products to wick beds, there was something for all.
‘You must massage it strongly, you know Sven-like!’ said Michelle from Embrace Family Nutrition as she demonstrated how to bully the somewhat tough kale into submission. Having cut out the ribs and chopped it finely it was now being squeezed to within an inch of its life before the other ingredients were added.
Ms Tagalong was all ears. She had been reading how kale and quinoa were trending on Twitter! Mmm, well maybe not but they are certainly popular at present.
And this was Michelle’s recipe as made by Sarah Britton for a delicious kale salad which everyone tasted and came back for more.
1 bunch of kale, stemmed and sliced into ribbons
1 lemon, squeezed plus pinch sea salt
Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
2 handfuls of grapes, cut in half
1 ripe avocado, cut into cubes
¼ cup of toasted pine seeds
¼ cup cold pressed olive oil
2 Tbls apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
½ shallot, diced
1 Tbls poppy seeds
Pinch sea salt
1 tsp honey
1. In a large bowl, dress kale with a bit of olive oil and a pinch or two of sea salt
2. Massage kale with your hands until it’s deep dark green, approx 2-3 minutes (remember Sven)
3. To make dressing , place all ingredients into a clean glass jar and shake vigorously
4. Assemble remaining salad ingredients and dressing. Toss and serve.
5. This can stay in fridge for a few days as is already wilted!
It's great to have some feedback, so please leave me some comments.